Coventry Hall Picture House / Coventry Cinema|
East Bowling, Bradford.
The straight-fronted stepped balcony with circa 126 seats in two blocks with centre aisle. The projection box was slightly offset to the left-hand side at the rear of the balcony. The proscenium at 22 feet wide had a small stage just sufficient for occasional variety acts.
"The Dawning" - 1912 USA B/w Silent.In November 1914 a new entrance was created between two shops in Wakefield Road. In the 1920's proprietors were Northern Cinemas Co Ltd with Herbert Core as resident manager.
Alterations and Talkies
The British made AWH sound system named after its electrical engineer inventor, Arthur William Harris (AWH = 'Always Worth Hearing') and eventually installed in over 200 independent cinemas and air force/naval camp cinemas together with the projection rooms of the British Board of Film Censors. Its main claim was quality of both speech and music together with reliability and minimal maintenance. Its full title was 'The AWH Talking Picture Reproducing Apparatus' and could be bought outright rather than leased as with BTH, RCA and Western Electric sound systems. In later years it was actually replaced by the Western Electric set.
"Penny Rush" from East Bowling Reflections No 2.
"We visited every Saturday afternoon in our childhood. It was a great treat to have a penny for the Matinée and a penny for the sweets and here we saw all the first heroes and heroines of the silent films. There was a pianist to provide suitable accompaniment to the thunderous cowboy films, dramas and serials and to fill in whenever the projector broke down. Local shops used to screen display advertisements between films. I remember a good news programme called Pathé Gazette."
In later years patrons of "the Cov" recall that to the left of the entrance was Agnes - a ladies hairstylist and next door the café of A. Boyd. On the right of the entrance was a sweets and tobacco shop with weighing scales in the doorway and the barber's shop a few doors below.
Council records/plans for 1945 show a total of 433 seats and another 28 on forms at the front.
There is no record of either a widescreen or CinemaScope being installed.
"Room at the Top" - 1958 UK B/w 117 mins.This film had been shot locally in Bingley and in Bradford city centre where the gritty story by John Braine was set.
The former cinema, shops and nearby houses were all demolished in the 1960s for the widening of Wakefield Road.
May not be copied or reproduced without permission.